Sunday, October 19, 2014

I am concentrating on fashion in a world ravaged by Ebola and Isis and demonstrations for democracy (and hunger and poverty and natural disaster too)

Delicious Leeuwin Estate wine from Margaret River in South Western Australia, a few hours south of Perth (the Dutch were among the early explorers to discover this beautiful part of Australia, and Leeuwin is the Dutch word for Lioness)

Although I can do shallow better than most, I haven't been feeling inspired in a world that is scarier than it has ever been in my lifetime. My parents are here in Hong Kong visiting from Holland and we sat outside on my terrace today, in glorious warm weather, drinking white wine in the sun. Whenever we do, I think of an Australian singer from Perth, Tim Minchin, who turns sharing white wine into an ode to family and belonging, while having a gentle dig at organized religion at the same time. With Christmas coming up, and many of us expatriates planning for trips home to our families, this is a nice one to listen to. I still love fashion... It's just that sometimes it feels so ludicrous to talk about the must-have new heel height that I find myself avoiding fashion blogging altogether.

Listen to Tim Minchin HERE, if you too feel conflicted about your (shallow) passion sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment